Save time and hassle while improving your cash-flow by paying your business bills with Melio. You can pay your business bills via bank transfers or credit cards - even if your vendors and recipients only accept paper checks or bank transfers.
Here's a quick demo of us paying an example bill from the beginning:
👉 Bill-paying with Melio: an overview.
Once your Melio account is set up, you can pay and pre-schedule payments for any business bill, right from your computer or smartphone. The entire process can be summed up in 3 steps:
- Add a bill to Melio. Either enter details, upload a document, or scan one with your smartphone. You can even set up weekly or monthly recurring payments.
- Choose how you'd like to pay. Bank transfers and debit card payments are completely free, or you can use a credit card (with a 2.9% tax-deductible fee) to extend your float and get rewards.
- Choose how your vendor receives the payment. We pay vendors on your behalf with a bank transfer (ACH) or a mail-delivered paper check, both with your business name clearly displayed.
A few notes before we get started:
- Below is the process for paying a bill you've already added to your Melio inbox. You can also add a bill and then immediately continue to pay for it.
- Your first payment takes an extra 3-5 minutes because it requires setting up your preferred payment and delivery methods and entering your legal business information (if you haven't already).
- You'll get updated by email when payments are set and when they're processed. Your vendor will get an email notification when the payment is processed (you can also choose to notify a vendor once you've scheduled a payment).
How to pay for a bill you have previously added
- Log in to Melio
- Select the bill you'd like to pay from your inbox
3. Click on the green SCHEDULE THIS BILL PAYMENT button
4. Connect a payment method
Connect the payment method you'd like to use to pay your business bill. Once connected, you'll be able to use it to pay any and all of your bill payments just by selecting it.
Your payment method options are:
- Bank transfer (make a ACH transaction or link you debit card to pay for free. Takes 3 full business days, 4 for payments over $100K)
- Credit card (2.9% fee, extends float and earns rewards, processed next day)
Connecting a payment method takes just 1 or 2 minutes, and is only necessary the first time you use each payment method.
5. Once you've connected a payment option, you can choose it to pay your bill
6. Choose how the payment recipient will receive this payment.
We send it on your behalf either as a bank transfer (ACH) to their bank account (takes 3 full business days to arrive) or as a paper check we mail to their office (arrives in approx. 7 business days)
Note that here too, you'll need to fill in the payment delivery details for the vendor the first time you use it. Either by entering your vendor's bank account details or their business address to receive the check.
7. Pick the day you want the payment to go out. To pay for it immediately, just leave the date-picker on today.
8. Leave a memo to the vendor. We recommend you enter your account number with this vendor or your invoice number to ensure proper remittance
Note: the memo appears in the email notification they receive as well as printed on the check they receive. When delivered via (ACH) bank transfers, it appears if your vendor's bank enables leaving memos on bank transfers
9. Review your payment
10. Click confirm and schedule payment, and your payment's all set!
Note: for your first payment you may be required to enter your business's tax info
Once scheduled, we'll send you a notification email with all the details, but they'll be available in your dashboard too. When the payment is processed, both you and the payment's receiver will each get an email notification if you've entered their contact details.